Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder

Default Alcohol Drying of Wet Wood

I just started a new test with the walnut root, except I cut the root in half
and turned two small bowls with 1/2" wall thicknesses. I soaked one in alcohol
for two hours and the other one I simply wrapped the outside with paper. Both
are wrapped in paper with the inside of the bowl open to the air. The wood was
extremely wet. I'll weigh them each day until they quit losing weight and then
will report back with my findings. Their initial weight, weighed at the same
time, was 215 grams for the unsoaked bowl and 225 grams for the soaked bowl.
Incidentally, I noticed that you said you didn't notice any difference in drying
with any of the various methods and that is why I decided to make a comparison
test. I personally believe that the wood soaked in alcohol dries more quickly
than wood that has not been soaked, maybe my test will show that I'm wrong or
hopefully it will show that myself and a lot of other people are right about the
alcohol soak. In any case, I'll report my findings in a week or two. You'll note
that I'm using bowls for my test and not 1" cubes.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article .com, robo hippy
says...

With all of the George bashing that has been going on, did anyone
notice that in my post, that with all of the experimenting that I have
done, that I haven't noticed any real difference in the drying methods?
I am not saying that it, or any of the other methods don't word, I am
saying that I can't tell any real difference. Some day I will have to
do a more scientific testing.
robo hippy