Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Default Finishing Basement - best way to DIY waterproof

I guarantee you that if you don't put in an outside drainage system, the
basement will flood as soon as it is finished.

Studs only need to be 1/2 inch from wall.

"Woodchuck34" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have access to the house and have been able to work there to get
things ready. The basement is dry except for one spot where a
downspout is not moving the water away from the house properly. The
engineer also thought the basement was sound except for this issue. I
just don't want to go through all the work of finishing this, only to
get a musty smell from the walls.

Has anyone used a sealer they can recommend?

I wasn't sure about this whole vapor barrier thing. I understand the
concept of keeping the studs off the wall, but if you glue a plastic
barrier to the wall, won't mold potentially still develop in between
the plastic and the concrete?