Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

Default A couple of quick questions

On Tue, 16 May 2006 19:42:28 -0400, "ng_reader"
wrote:

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 16 May 2006 16:50:45 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Mark L. wrote:
Greetings All,
I plan on using Hardiboard as a backer for bathroom tile and it will
sit on 3/4 plywood. What is used to bond the Hardiboard to the ply?

Nails and/or screws. Not a bad idea to bed it into thinset to fill any
low
spots.
_____________

Also, the Hardiboard doesn't have tapered edges like Durock does, is
it ok to tape and mud the joints where the Hardiboard meets?

Personally, I wouldn't bother...the thinset used to bed the tiles will
fill
any gap.

Ditto on this opinion. I finished one last year. The Hardiboard has
screws specifically made to install it. Thinset is more a leveling
agent rather than a bonding agent. No need to tape joints.

Frank

Those "special" screws are just square drive. But, they *did* do nice job.
And they didn't break, either.

Actually, they are a little more than just square drive. The point
design and the serated thread is specifically for self tapping in
either wood or steel. Additionally, the head has cutting flutes for
self countersinking without cracking or stressing the board because of
seating torsion. The coating is designed to take the basic ph
condition without corrosion even if moisture gets to them in the
future.

and square drive is the only way to go.

Expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.

Frank