Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Alcohol Drying of Wet Wood

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news

What would be most interesting to me concerning the drying results above
would be a side-by-side comparison of two similarly sized and shaped
forms from the same section of tree. Treat both the same with the taping
and bagging, but treat only one with the alcohol. I'd give it a go
myself, but I don't have a scale...

As I have said before, I have done exactly that, with successive cubes from
1x1 cuts, to make distortion measurement easy and valid. The answer is the
one I keep giving. Not only is there no scientific validity to the
assertions made by proponents - the speculative mechanisms violate known
scientific laws - it makes no difference whether the piece is soaked or not.
I keep suggesting that Fred take up the challenge and do it for himself, and
instead we see what he posted yesterday, a documentation of evaporation.

Note that the piece is protected from rapid loss by control of relative
humidity, a method which has been used to control loss from drying wood for
as long as man has cut it, and you find the real answer. Just as the LDD
types who turn thin and experience little failure. If you turn thin, you
won't, unless you throw the thing out into the desert, or an air-conditioned
home, which is about the same.