Posted to sci.electronics.repair
w_tom

Default Building Ground (long-...sorry)

larry moe 'n curly wrote:
Why does my home insurance company want me to not only have whole house
surge protection but also use power strip surge protectors?

Why has Consumer Reports recommended power strip surge protectors?
They employ several electrical engineers.

Don't ask me why a home insurance company did not first learn the
science. Ask them? If they know a plug-in protector is effective,
then they have provided reams of facts that I did not learn after
numerous decades of doing this stuff. Always looking for new facts -
which is why IEEE always demands reasons 'why'.

I don't see Consumer Reports recommending protectors. What issue?
What date? Why no specific citation or quote? Why is being an
electrical engineer sufficient to be knowledgeable on transient
protection? What kind of assumption is that? Instead post technical
whys and whys nots - with quotes and numbers (technical reasons) from
that article. Why do you think Bud - and rightly so - has trouble
with any citation he cannot read in long and painful detail. Where
are those details from Consumer Reports?