Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

Default 20 year rising damp guarantee

"dustie" wrote in message
Hi there

I bought my house in October 1998 and it came with a 20 Year damp-course
guarantee (the work was performed in 1992) . This was failing and this
problem was noticed on the survey and it recommended I pursue the matter.
Well, I was lot younger, very naive and didn't worry about it too much.

Work at the Building Research Station concluded that rising damp is a myth.
Walls of various constructions were built with their bases kept in water and
moisture levels were measured over several years. Although capillary action
in some types initially drew some water a few millimetres above the external
water level, there was no measurable change after that. So, the good news is
that you don't need a damp proof course. The bad news is that, even if you
do get the DPC replaced under the guarantee, it won't solve the problem,
that you will need to find out what is really causing the damp and that
nobody else is going to pay to have it rectified.

Colin Bignell