Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

nothermark wrote:
On 16 May 2006 07:31:27 -0700,
wrote:

I was speaking to a well driller and he said that the water at 300'
could be just as good or just as bad as the water at 25'. He really
couldn't give me the "this is why you should go with a drilled well"
answer.

Thanks.

dug well - most of the contaminants are what you and your neighbor
dump on the ground.

drilled well - contaminant source expands to unknown distance and into
unknown past.

It is generally, but not always, the case that deeper drilled wells
get into older, less contaminated by man water. OTOH, they are more
likely to pick up mineral contamination because of the longer path to
where you tap it.

Deeper you go, yes the longer its has been there and the more likely it
has dissolved limestone and other minerals in it. Hard water, foul
tasting/smelling water are all possible. bacterial contamination
unlikely. Salt intrusion is possible in areas close to salt water.