Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L

Default 20 year rising damp guarantee

dustie wrote:
Hi there

I bought my house in October 1998 and it came with a 20 Year
damp-course guarantee (the work was performed in 1992) . This was
failing and this problem was noticed on the survey and it recommended
I pursue the matter. Well, I was lot younger, very naive and didn't
worry about it too much. About a year after moving in, it became
obvious that the fresh paint job that was done before the house went
on the market was done purely to cover up the problem that was
manifesting. Unfortunately, some bad personal stuff happened to me
around the same time and I entered a very long depression which
lasted years and, to be honest, I couldn't summon up the energy to
pursue the matter and I stupidly let it slide. Of course, I've now
been here over seven years and ALL the lower ground walls are a
complete mess and they need sorting.
I made a tentative stab to sort it out a few years ago and spoke to
the providers of the certificate (the company who provided the
chemicals) and they passed me onto the people who'd actually
installed the damp-proofing course.. I got nowhere because I didn't
have the "plans" of the work that had been done and they said they
couldn't help. I've now recently located the plans with the deeds of
the house and you can see that some walls had work done but others
didn't.. Either way, ALL the lower grounds walls are a real state
now with the worst having salt growing off them...
So.... What should I do about this? I feel pretty stupid though that
I've left this too long and the treatment comapny (who are still in
business) are going to tell me to take a running jump and that the
damage is too severe now..!

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. This matter has given me
a lot of sleepless nights recently...

If you are on any kind of medication for your depression, tell the doctor
that your damp problems are not helping.
Go to citizen's advice and ask what can be done, given that the frim issued
a gaurantee (which by law, even then, was insurance backed) and that it has
affected your health, they will advise you whether it would be worthwhile
consulting a solicitor (don't go to a solicitor first or you may end up with
a large legal bill, see the CAB people.
Once you've got a bit of ammo, get back onto the DPC cowboys and inform them
that your health has been suffering for years and your doctor and solicitor
will both testify to this, and that unless it is rectified soon, and to a
high standard, a hefty claim is about to be issued, they will then act
fairly quickly....or you could just go down this route and sue the arse off
them and pay someone proper to do it.