Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

Default Artesian Well vs. Dug Well

wrote in message
oups.com...
drilled wells can be artesian wells if a well is drilled to a 300 ft
depth and the static water level is at 200 feet it is a artesian well
the water is pressurized enough to bring it up to 200 ft. a well that
has water running out the top is a flowing artesian just my 2 cents
scott

A little history. Wife's grandfather (lived outside of Fedora, SD, not too
far from Artesian, SD) told me that they tapped into a flowing Artesian well
for the old homestead. Water came out of the ground on its' own, flowed
through the house, out to the barn, then into a cattle tank outside and then
overflowed onto the ground. He said the belief was that if you ever shut
the water off, it would divert to another outlet and then you wouldn't have
water anymore. Of course they were wrong and eventually they ran off enough
water to lower the pressure until the water quit running altogether. When
we used to visit while he was alive, they had a drilled well ( I think he
said 700' deep) that had the nastiest water you ever tasted. Smelled like
rotten eggs, tasted like rotten eggs, and gave you the scoots better than
ExLax. We brought bottled water but some cousins from Washington state
would bring KoolAid to add to the water so they could drink it. He used to
laugh because he said they never did figure out why they still got the
scoots. He was quite the gentleman...lived to 103 and to talk to him, you
would think you were talking to George Burns' twin brother.

Tom G.