Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Alcohol Drying of Wet Wood1 (dry & long)

Hi Fred, Thanks for sharing your success with us. I don't know or care
how much of woodturning is art and how much is craft, but for me it's
sure not science and I don't care. Well actually I do care a little,
I'm glad it's not science because whatever facet of the endeavor I am
involved in at the time, I don't want to burden my efforts and fun with
too much deductive or inductive reasoning or data gathering. I think
it's the same for most of us whether we turn as a business, a hobby or
more often both.

When a drying method works to the satisfaction of a woodturner I think
there is merit in it. Whether the satisfaction is due to scientific
proof, placebo effect, herd instinct, appeal to authority or a
visitation from the Almighty the method is valid for the believer so why
should he care what disbelievers think. Although I may not believe, I
know I can't disprove a positive with a negative, so I'm always glad to
hear about someone's success.

Several methods for drying wood are satisfactory for somebody, but not
for everybody. Usually when several techniques are in use, there is no
one best technique. Boiling, LDD, alcohol, waxing, thinning & bagging
all work for many of us and I have no trouble in believing in the merits
of each. The option is mine, but I seldom choose to use any one of them,
not because I 'know' it won't work, but simply because it is usually too
much trouble. I rely on the kindness of mother nature. She will always
take back some of her timber, but then I will always have wood to burn.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter