Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom

Default A couple of quick questions

"Mark L." wrote in message
. com...
Greetings All,
I plan on using Hardiboard as a backer for bathroom tile and it will sit
on 3/4 plywood. What is used to bond the Hardiboard to the ply? Also, the
Hardiboard doesn't have tapered edges like Durock does, is it ok to tape
and mud the joints where the Hardiboard meets?
Lastly, our basement is a little damp and I'd like to know if a regular
dehumidifier is best or if something else is better.
Thanks, Mark

I can't address the bathroom question, but as far as the basement, a
dehumidifier's a good idea. But, check Consumer Reports - I believe they did
noise tests on these machines. It's important, especially if you live in a
ranch, where you're sleeping right above the basement. Even with the quieter
ones, you might want to run it with a heavy duty timer, and have it shut off
between certain hours.