Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Alcohol Drying of Wet Wood

Aw Fred, c;mon. You know, it's just George's way of letting us know
he's still around. As evidenced by his posting techniques, about the
only way he knows how to express himself is to crap on something.

I have seen a lot of evidence that this procedure works, although no
one seems to know why. I have emailed back and forth with different
individuals that are like you and I, ones that do not care "why" but
only use the method as a means to an end. Some swear by it, others
have had different levels of success.

You know the longtime friend of this NG, Leif, swears by the LDD method
and it works well for him. Others have found that protcol successful,
moderately successful, and not successful at all. I think it is the
same for he alcohol method. I was glad you took the time, made the
effort and then went a step farther and shared with all of us.

I would be willing to bet that George has not tried the alcohol method,
but even if he did, it is a shame that a grown man (at least I am
assuming this... maybe not) replies to someone simply sharing
information backed by his careful fact gathering by sarcastic, snotty
opinion. It is often the response of the small mind to make fun of
something they don't understand or are unfamiliar with. But at the
very least, lack of understanding, unfamiliarity, or any other reason
doesn't excuse that kind arrogant, sarcastic remark to someone that is
simply trying to share.

I know this is the kind of horsecrap that ran you off for a long time,
as well as many others. All I can say Fred, is don't go away because
of some of jerks that post here. It is a public forum, and like the
members of the flat earth society (you cannot prove the earth is round
to their satisfaction, nor can you prove we ever went to the moon) they
have a right to their opinion. They are one dimensinal thinkers. If
they haven't experienced "it" themselves in some way, it may not exist
at all.

George is "one of those". He posts very pleasant threads when he is
trolling for compliments on something he has done, or if he agrees with
you, or understands what you are saying. The rest of the time, it's...
well... George. He is no different on the other NGs on which he
participates. The people here are just nicer and more tolerant of his
behavior.

I live this quote, but don't know who said it. It may have been the
"anti George":

"Brave he be, who first tasteth the oyster"

How would you have liked to try to convince your friends you could
actually eat those things raw? Now to me, that's REAL uncharted
territory.

Thanks for the post.

Robert