Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
jw

Default Saw Blade Teeth - Cold Saw Cutting Thin Wall Tubing

Alex wrote:
Hello -

We'll be cutting thin wall (16G, .062") 304 stainless steel tubing - 1"
x 2" down to 5/8" square. We've got a new Kaltenbach KKS 400E. With
the stock blades (16"), the saw cuts at +/- 50 surface feet per minute.
We'll be atomizing our coolant. Our primary objective is to minimize
or eliminate burr.

Does anybody have experience with this? We're looking for advice on
what sort of saw blade to go with? We're mostly concerned with
number-of-teeth but would also like some feedback on grind (notch,
triple-chip, etc.) and kerf (thin or wide).

Thank you in advance for your help.

A.

I dont' know a lot about these things, but when I was digging into it
the advice I received was to try to have two teeth(minimum) engaged at
all times. If you get less than than, it is possible to "snag" the
material instead of cut it.

I cut a fair amount of similar material to you and have been using a
10" 220 tooth blade. It cuts very clean with no burr(generally).
Occasionally I will get a little edge on the bottom if the off cut
isnt' supported and falls out of the way. Quick swipe with a file will
usually take care of that.

I dont' know grind I have, other than what I think is called a
skip-tooth. I don't know off hand, but I think the blade thickness is
around 0.062"

I have an 80 tooth blade for solids that works quite well too.

I have worked with Tom Grasso in Michigan(Ann Arbor I think). He has a
regrind shop and knows a lot about these things. He was very helpful.
contact him at tgrasso at gbind dot com

JW