Posted to rec.woodworking
Pop

Default 220V Magnetic switch problem

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Pop" wrote in message
news:uHP9g.1968$Y55.1783@trndny08...

Some people don't like to hear this, but if a non-code (which
you
have) miswiring causes a fire, and your insurance company gets
wind of it, you will have NO insurance! Codes exist for very
real reasons, too.

Although everything else Pop posted with regard to the OP's
wiring situation
is true, this one statement is not at all true. In most
states, (if not
all), you are covered once your policy is instated. Insurance
companies
must, and do pay for stupidity every day. Fires are
investigated every day
and Cause & Origin Teams find faulty wiring to be the cause -
every day.
Insurance policies pay off against these claims - every day.
There is a lot
of urban legend surround insurance policy coverage but you
would have to
look far and wide to find any substantial number of claims
denied for
homeowner stupidity. Ask an adjuster when the last time was
that they
actually saw a claim denied for faulty wiring.

--

-Mike-

Which state is which isn't relevant to this post, and only
implies a false sense of knowledge on the part of the poster.

Stupidity is NOT the same as intentional miswiring, nor is wiring
allowed to be done by unqualified personnel. They certainly will
refuse to pay, especially if the fire or insurance investigator
turns it up and finds the situation at hand: You are dead wrong.

Faulty wiring is NOT miswiring caused by unqulaified personnel,
who violated code. Huge differenct. You've gone outside your
area of knowledge here.

Some, actually very few, insurance companies pay off of
fraudulent claims, which is what you are defining. If wiring has
not been inspected and logged accordingly, the insurance
companies can and do/will take a hands off atitude toward the
claim.

Again, "homeowner stupidity" is A LOT MORE THAN JUST when an
unqualified person installs wiring incorrectly. And you can bet
your bottom dollar that when the death or fire or lawsuit caused
by a miswired, non-code, probably inherently unsafe connection
which has not had proper inspections performed, is discovered,
the insurance company will indeed wash their hands of the whole
thing.
I suggest this poster go and closely read his policy in full,
not just the little hype verbiage received with it. Read the
entire thing and you'll see just how easy it is for an insurance
company to refuse a claim. Your claim.

"Substantial" is an irrelevent and non-definitive word here. If
YOU are among the ten of a thousand or more who miswired your
home and burnt it down or electrocuted someone, or were sued
because someone received a bad shock, known as electrocution
(electrocution does not mean it killed), you had better have some
pretty deep pockets because your insurance won't help the second
they discover the non-code intentional installation of
sub-standard wiring techniques.
Now, I CAN INDEED (and have done so before) talk to a Code
Enforcement Officer who can cite such cases, and my neighbor, an
insurance broker, not an insurance salesman, can corroborate and
has corroborated such stories in the past. These things even
make the newspapers, of course.
A few years back, a men's clothing store owner burned down his
building. At the same time, he accidentally also burned down a
neighboring apartment building. I'll bet you think the apartment
building owner's insurance the tenant's property insurances all
paid off, don't you? You would be dead wrong! Those several
insurance companies got together and sued the clothing store
owner, HIS insurance company, the code enforcement office, and
some others I no longer recall. Of course, the arsonist owner
went to jail for 5 years.
How do I know all this? I knew BOTH owners. I went to school
with the arsonist. I was in the same club as the apt bldg owner.
And, it was well covered in the papers and radio for over a year
while they kept on discovering new things about the fire. It
took 8 months to prove it was arson, but they did it. Think how
easy it is to trace a 220 service back to two unconnected,
improperly installed ckt brkrs.

And finally, of COURSE the numbers of these events are small!
The majority of people DO IT RIGHT, OR GET IT RIGHT, OR HAVE IT
DONE RIGHT. Unlike you, who seems to think that because the
majority don't go to jail, or lose their life earnings, simply
because of the sheer ignorance you posted.

Don't cry fire in front of a fireman when it's a load of crap
that you're pusing out; people like you are disgusting and
obviously trolling, which means that I have nothing further to
say to you or to read from you.