Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default De-furring aluminium ..?

Hi all,

I decided to do something about the slow 'puncture' on the front wheel
of my little runabout motorbike (Honda CB 'Two Fifty') that I was
pretty confident was caused by corrosion / flakey paint between the
(tubeless) tyre and ally rim.

I removed the tyre today and I was right, loads of ally 'fur' in
there? ;-(

So my intention is to just clean the inside of the rims out (I'm doing
the rear as well although that tyre was tubed so not leaking), spray
them with some acid-etch primer and a few coats of car spray paint to
seal them up. Normally I would do a full refurb on such things (like
getting them bead blasted etc) but the bikes not worth it .. so as
long as I sort the corrosion out and it looks 'ok' when finished that
will do this time.

I was wondering if there was an easy_to_obtain_and_use chemical that
would remove this 'corrosion' (sulphate?) easily please? (like vinegar
on lime scale etc).

If not I'll just stick a medium wire brush in the electric drill?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. And it was interesting to find a 55.1 x 16 inner tube all
buckled up in the 4.1 x 16 rear tyre .. another reminder should one be
needed why I like to do / check these things myself ...