Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
John Gregory

Default Front-load washer?

you do need to "get down" to fish out the ones stuck to the top of the
drum.

If you grab the nearest fin on the inside of the drum and give it a push,
you can roll the drum 180 degrees and bring whatever's at the top to the
bottom without fishing. Usually, it's not dead center at the top and appears
just off center from the bottom in one small push or pull of the fin.

"D Smith" wrote in message
Steve writes:

Looks like I'm gonna want a stacking washer/dryer. The dealers seem
to be pushing front-loaders everywhere now. Near as I can tell, the
front-load options allow for fullsize units, as opposed to the smaller
stackable top-loaders. Do you use a front-load washer? Happy with
it? More bending over to load and unload? Consumer Reports said
sumpthin about greater difficulty loading, not sure what they meant...

We have a front-load washer, which we bought a few years ago. Seems to
do fine washing the clothes, and uses a lot less water and detergent.

No more bending over to load and unload than the front-load dryer
beside it (which is 20 years old).... The trip from the washer to the
dryer is shorter - I just get down on my knees and move it from one to the
other in handfulls until it's all done. Then I stand up. I lose socks in
the washer at about the same rate as in the dryer - you do need to "get
down" to fish out the ones stuck to the top of the drum.