Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Morley

Default Mains motors in the workshop

"Adrian Brentnall" adrian-the papers and the wrote
in message ...
HI Harry

On Sun, 14 May 2006 10:34:10 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote :
Anyway - last week, said motor gave a gasp and died. Now all it will
do is buzz weakly - and won't turn - mains lights in the workshop dim
while it's buzzing (not a good sign, I think).

If there is no sign of damage/ burnt windings on the motor, then I
would guess that it is the starting capacitor which has failed.

I did take it apart this morning - all surprisingly easy - just undo
the four long bolts and the two end caps came off, complete with
bearings, and the rotor slid out.

Far too easy !g

The centrifugal switch seemed to be operating OK - so I treated the
contacts to a bit of attentions with some wet and dry paper, then a
quick squirt of contact cleaner - and - lo and behold - on
reassembling it everything worked first time !!

Brilliant !

The grinder motor which you bought to try to replace it, doesn't have
anything like as much torque as the capacitor start motor you had -
hence its difficulty at startup.

Fair enough - now I just have to think of a reason why I need three
grinders !

Thinking about it - one would be very handy as the 'power souce'
behind a flexible drive thingy that would take little grindstones,
wire-brushes etc - must do some looking around..... more toys !

Thanks all

Adrian

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply

Glad you got it going again. I was pretty sure that was the problem, but was
waiting for the post "The switch is in pieces, where can I get a new one
from?" !!!