Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall

Default Mains motors in the workshop

Hi

On 14 May 2006 03:18:02 -0700, wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On Sat, 13 May 2006 23:50:47 +0100, Andy Wade

the string will give you at least 10x the speed, it may be worth a try.

Sounds flipping dangerous to me.

Just about do-able - but not really how I'd like it to work g

It would only be dangerous if you did something really stupid like wind
the string round your finger. Its a standard method of starting
generators. The main point of the string test is to see if you have
some kind of starting fault but it runs ok once its got some speed. Its
far quicker and easier than taking it apart, still not knowing if it'll
work aftewards.

Secondarily, it also gives you an immediately working system you can do
your glasswork on.

Testing the motor does not 'weaken' the insulation, as long as you dont
leave it powered stallled for long enough to start to burn.

Actually - some good news !

Took the motor apart (surprisingly easy !) - and cleaned the contacts
on the centrifugal switch. Didn't think to take an electrical
measurement 'before' - but after cleaning the resistance changed as
the switch closed ....

A couple of updated photos of the innards at
http://www.inspired-glass.co.uk/electric-motor.htm
in case anybody's interested... g

Reassembled the thing and it fired up 1st time - grrrrrreeeat !

Many thanks for the advice - looks like we're back in business

Adrian

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply