Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall

Default Mains motors in the workshop

HI Andy

On Sat, 13 May 2006 23:50:47 +0100, Andy Wade

the string will give you at least 10x the speed, it may be worth a try.

Sounds flipping dangerous to me.

Just about do-able - but not really how I'd like it to work g

Its probably a wound stator wound rotor brushed universal motor,
meaning it has no separate starting circuit and high start torque.

Bzzzt. It's very clearly a spilt-phase induction motor - the type with
an auxiliary starer winding connected via a centrifugal switch (& no
capacitor). Tim Morley probably hit the nail on the head a few articles
ago, but no-one seems to be listening.

I'd missed Tim's post until you pointed it out - just read it - makes
sense - thanks..

Adrian, I think you'll need to strip the motor down and inspect/clean
the switch. Take the long through studs out, get the front end-plate
off and withdraw the armature from the front, and the rest should be
fairly obvious. Alternatively a local rewinds place (see YP) could
probably repair it for a lot less than the cost of a new motor.

OK - I'll have a look.
As I just replied to Tim, there was a definite 'clunk' as it started
(when it worked) - so that bears out the centrifugal switch theory.

The motor was very second-hand from a friend - think it cost me a
tenner - so if a cost-effective 'DIY' repair is possible then that'd
be great.

I use this kit for slicing up & grinding / polishing my kiln-fused
glass work - and I've got another 'fair' coming up next weekend - so
if it's possible to get it flying again sooner that'd be great....

I'll take a look and report back - many thanks !

Adrian

======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply