Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall

Default Mains motors in the workshop

Hi Roger

On Sat, 13 May 2006 20:55:44 +0100, "Roger Mills"

Adrian Brentnall adrian-the papers and the wrote:

Is there anything readable on the larger plate (curved round the main
casing)?

Just been out to the workshop..

It reads
Crompton Parkinson
Insulation Class E
BS170
A73
AC Motor
Spares Cat A3
No TS4543H
BHP 0.166
RPM 1425
Volts 220 / 240
Amps 1.6
PH 1 Hz 50
Rating Cont

Don't know if that helps ??

It doesn't give *me* any clues as to its mode of operation, I'm afraid - but
I don't claim to be the world's leading expert in these matters.

You & me both ! g

If you feel like doing a little experiment, you could remove the A-Z strap,
and fit a strap between A and S instead - and see whether it works when you
tell it to go backwards. It might just use a different set of internal
windings in this mode, and they might be ok.

Now that's an idea.... good thinking....
I was (mis) reading the diagram on the cover plate as being (left
side) rotation one way and (right side) rotation 'tother way - but, on
re-reading it, it does advise swapping yellow & blue leads to rotate
the other way.

Maybe I'll give that a try tomorrow.....
(if you hear a loud 'bang' then draw your own conclusions g

Could you still use it if it rotated the other way - maybe by fitting the
belt in a figure of 8 or something if your machinery minds which way it
turns?

Oh yes - the motor is mounted on a wooden baseboard - so it can easily
be rotated through 180-degrees and all will be fine (until the other
winding blows !)..

I'll give it a try and report back - many thanks....

You'd think that there would be a fair few of these things kicking
about - but a quick trawl through eBay shows very few of them.
I did read that modern washing machine motors are not as 'usable' as
thes old-fashioned ones, as they need their controller box to be
useful.... progress, eh ??

Thanks
Adrian
======return email munged=================
take out the papers and the trash to reply