Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bud--

Default Building Ground (long-...sorry)

w_tom wrote:
Bud - even your own supporting reference recommends the 'whole house'
solution. With every paper you cite, I repsonded with waves of other
papers, testimony from engineers who actually do this work, and
underlying concepts you don't want to touch: equipotential and
conductivity. Your response is to pretend I provided no sources. You
pretend that an industry benchmark in this technology- Polyphaser -
does not even exist.

I am for a surge suppressor at the power service and a single point
ground. The issue is ONLY whether plug-in surge suppressors are
effective. I don't remember waves of your papers in this thread. I don't
remember any links from you in this thread [one in a different branch
which is irrelevant]. One of my links is from the IEEE. Maybe you didn't
know that is an association of electical and electronic engineers.
PolyPhaser is probably a good reference if you have a transmitter with a
big tower that attracts lightning. If I was a ham I would be very
interested.

Pictures from companies that do protection always start with and
center that protection system around earthing. Only plug-in
manufacturers hope others will not learn why earthing is the most
essential part in a protection system:

Earthing is a good idea. The question is whether plug-in surge
suppressors are effective.

Hot damn - actual links!!!
http://scott-inc.com/html/ufer.htm

I have previously said that Ufer grounds are a lot better than ground
rods. I am on record as for them. Not relevant to surge suppressors.

http://www.erico.com/public/library/...es/tncr002.pdf

What do you know - a transmitter tower site. Most of us do not have a
very tall lightning rod next to our houses. For those of us who don't
expect to protect from a direct lighting strike a Surge Reference
Equalizer will work.

http://www.leminstruments.com/pdf/LEGP.pdf (page 14)

Thanks for the page reference. I assume you mean pdf page 14, not
document page 14. This page is about is measuring the ground resistance
of a Master Ground Bar at a Telco central office. It may surprise you
but few of us have a telephone switch in our basements. Not mentioned is
what the MGB is used for - which is to provide a single point ground
reference for wires entering the room/floor/whatever. I am in favor of
single point grounds. I saw no mention of plug-in surge suppressors not
being effective, although I personally wouldn't use one on a telephone
switch.

http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_TD1023.aspx

Surprise, surprise - another transmitter tower site. I previously have
said that single point grounds at the service are very important. From
PolyPhaser:
"Another is to provide some form of impulse protector for each of the
equipment's Input or Output (I/O) ports. These ports are usually the ac
power connection, a telephone or control line, and an antenna
transmission line." That is exactly what a Surge Reference Equalizer
does (but not likely inclding a transmitter antenna).

Planning guide for Sun Server room (page 89)
http://www.sun.com/servers/white-pap...ning-guide.pdf

"Page not found" - not uncommon with your links.

Not even the military (ie 10th Communication Squadron for the Air
Force) recommends plug-in protectors to provide equipotential - the
multiport protector solution.

No source link. Sorry, I want to read the original in context.

And you own citation says:

High-current surges on the power system originating
outside of the user's premises, associated with
lightning or major power-system events, are best
diverted at the service entrance of the premises.
While such a protection is not mandated at present,
trends indicate growing interest in this type of surge
protection. Either the utility or the end-user may provide
a high energy surge arrester at the service entrance.

As I said earlier, I agree that a surge suppressor on the power service
and a single point ground reference is a good idea. But if this is one
of my sources it says plug-in surge suppressors work.

Bud - do you read your own citations before posting them? Your own
citation - a paper from Martzloff, et al - even recommends properly
earthed 'whole house' protection. Why are you arguing in defense of
ineffective plug-in protectors?

My references all say that plug-in surge suppressors are effecive;
didn't you read them? One of my sources [IEEE, the best one] was
originally posted by you; do you read your own citations before posting
them? Another of you previous posts had a different link recommeding
plug-in surge suppressors; you must have not read that one either.

The issue is ONLY whether plug-in surge suppressors are effective. My
links show the IEEE and NIST recommend them. Did you see that? You
constantly try to change the subject, but your links are totally
irrelevant or are silent on this issue, as usual.

bud--