Gunner

Default Which Lathe for Beginner?

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:32:11 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

jim rozen wrote in message ...

I've got a dividing head, I wonder if it's would
be a going proposition to simply start manufacturing 127
tooth gears to fit SB machines?

Jim

I needed a set for my Logan. (I run into a lot of wacky metric threads an
antique French lamps)
So I cut a 37/47 pair on my horizontal mill (too small to swing a 127).

It has become my philosophy, that when making parts for my more common
machinery, to make a few extra and ebait them out.

I ganged a stack of aluminum blanks and milled out nine sets.

They sold quite well. Paid for materials, tooling and shop time.

I think that, if some one was round up a small hobber and the necessary
tooling, they could probably make a decent part time job out of hobbing out
change gears.

Paul K. Dickman

If any one needs hobbers..Im sure I can round up a machine or two.

Gunner

"The British attitude is to treat society like a game preserve where a
certain percentage of the 'antelope' are expected to be eaten by the
"lions".
Christopher Morton