jim rozen

Default Which Lathe for Beginner?

In article , Paul K. Dickman says...

I needed a set for my Logan. (I run into a lot of wacky metric threads an
antique French lamps)
So I cut a 37/47 pair on my horizontal mill (too small to swing a 127).

It has become my philosophy, that when making parts for my more common
machinery, to make a few extra and ebait them out.

I ganged a stack of aluminum blanks and milled out nine sets.

Ah. Aluminum. I would have gone to steel first. But
for this application obviously Al is a better choice.
You did this with a form cutter?

They sold quite well. Paid for materials, tooling and shop time.

I think that, if some one was [to] round up a small hobber and the necessary
tooling, they could probably make a decent part time job out of hobbing out
change gears.

That would be the way to make money at it.

Jim

please reply to: