Posted to sci.electronics.repair
w_tom

Default Building Ground (long-...sorry)

Bud - even your own supporting reference recommends the 'whole house'
solution. With every paper you cite, I repsonded with waves of other
papers, testimony from engineers who actually do this work, and
underlying concepts you don't want to touch: equipotential and
conductivity. Your response is to pretend I provided no sources. You
pretend that an industry benchmark in this technology- Polyphaser -
does not even exist.

Pictures from companies that do protection always start with and
center that protection system around earthing. Only plug-in
manufacturers hope others will not learn why earthing is the most
essential part in a protection system:
http://scott-inc.com/html/ufer.htm
http://www.erico.com/public/library/...es/tncr002.pdf
http://www.leminstruments.com/pdf/LEGP.pdf (page 14)
http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_TD1023.aspx
Multiple I/O port protection, Single Point Ground considerations
First and foremost, there should be only one ground system.
Second, the individual l/O protectors need to be co-located on the
same electrical ground plane. This means establishing a single
point ground system within the equipment building. An ideal way
is the PolyPhaser Bulkhead Panel, PEEP, or Single Point Ground
Panel. The single point ground system will keep all the I/O
protectors at the same level with respect to each other.
Third, the transmitter equipment chassis must be insulated from
conductive flooring and connected to the ground plane using a low
inductive connector.

Planning guide for Sun Server room (page 89)
http://www.sun.com/servers/white-pap...ning-guide.pdf
Lightning surges cannot be stopped, but they can be diverted.
The plans for the data center should be thoroughly reviewed to
identify any paths for surge entry into the data center. Surge
arrestors can be designed into the system to help mitigate the
potential for lightning damage within the data center. These
should divert the power of the surge by providing a path to
ground for the surge energy.

Not even the military (ie 10th Communication Squadron for the Air
Force) recommends plug-in protectors to provide equipotential - the
multiport protector solution. And you own citation says:
High-current surges on the power system originating
outside of the user's premises, associated with
lightning or major power-system events, are best
diverted at the service entrance of the premises.
While such a protection is not mandated at present,
trends indicate growing interest in this type of surge
protection. Either the utility or the end-user may provide
a high energy surge arrester at the service entrance.

Bud - do you read your own citations before posting them? Your own
citation - a paper from Martzloff, et al - even recommends properly
earthed 'whole house' protection. Why are you arguing in defense of
ineffective plug-in protectors? Do you work for a plug-in protector
company? Even factilities that require well proven protection for
generation don't use plug-in protectors. They use a well proven
(nearly 100 years) method described here as 'whole house'. Why do
those who have effective protection not use what you are recommending -
plug-in protectors? Even your own citation notes that 'whole house'
protection is a 'best' solution.

Bud-- wrote:
Regarding plug-in surge suppressors - a bunch of crap. Specific comments
on what you said are like arguing with a Scientologist.

The "1993" paper I furnished a link to is part of a NIST "anthology on
surge protection last updated in 2005. Both NIST references are current
on the NIST web site.

The IEEE document is new. It is also your link.

All 3 papers from the NIST and IEEE recommend plug-in surge suppressors.
Two of these papers are overall recommendations on surge protection for
the general public or people involved in surge protection. Apparently
you are smarter than the NIST and IEEE.

One of the authors of the Upside Down House papers you quoted was Arshad
Mansoor. An electrical engineer commented:
"I found it particularly funny that he mentioned a paper by Dr. Mansoor.
I can assure you that he supports the use of suge equilization type
plug-in protectors. Heck, he just sits down the hall from me. LOL."

I have supplied 3 supporting references. You have supplied none. I
eagerly await your link to a reputable source supporting your views.

bud--