Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician

Default Wiring a Generator Independent of the house's wiring

swattsup wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
RBM wrote:
This is actually a cheap, simple, safe,and approved method of

transfer. I've
only seen it made by Square D for the QO series

They also make it for their Homeline series panels.

Pete C.

I've been Googling around looking for less expensive transfer
panels/switches/relays etc and also found this puppy. It's great to
see someone already using it. I hate to have to replace my entire load
center but even so it's still cheaper and more flexible than anything
else I've found.

The upside is it also gets me a main circuit cut-off inside the house
that the contractor crap doesn't have.

One question though, maybe two ;-), where did you get the interlock?
No one seems to have it and Square-D doesn't sell direct.

And a general question directed at anybody (who knows) - there wouldn't
be a problem installing another set of mains breakers in series with
the the main service breakers outside by the meter, would there?

Oh, and a third - does the inside breaker have to have the same rating
as the outside one (150Amp?) There is a great SquareD value pack I'd
like to use but it has a 200 Amp main breaker.

Thanks.

You can get the Interlock at any Square D stocking electrical supply
house. I've even seen them at the box stores.

The only issue with the series main breaker arrangement is that both
breakers must have an adequate withstand rating for the available fault
current. The 150 ampere breaker is undoubtedly sized for the service
entrance conductors so you can't eliminate it without changing out your
service entry conductors.

No the breakers don't have to be the same amperage rating as long as the
one at the meter is sized for the size of the service entry conductors.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison