Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim S

Default wrought iron railing

Corinne wrote:

I had this type of railing, and sanded it real well. Then I purchased
Hammerite (a type of paint) for a quality paint store.

I never had any rust show through after that, and I sold the house four
years later, and it still looked great.

I agree - Hammerite is *very* good for this sort of job. Good range of
colours too.

My advice having used gallons of the stuff:

a) Although it sticks OK to bare metal (slight rust included), it's better
IMHO if you use a coat of Hammerite primer first - less chance of it
cracking off, though this is more of a problem on thin metal like chassis.

b) Put it on thin and recoat at least once (watch the re-coating time, too
long and the second coat won't stick well - instructions on the tin). If
you glob it on, it takes *forever* to harden.

Cheers

Tim (in the UK)