Posted to alt.home.repair
fish

Default wrought iron railing

i have a home that was built in 1951. the railings are wrought iron,
and have some rust and chipping. i understand that this might have
leaded paint on it.

what are my options? can i put a heavy coat of rustoleum on it and be
done with it? i was going to brush it but now i am having second
thoughts since there may be lead paint involved.

Thanks,
Fish.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Corinne

I had this type of railing, and sanded it real well. Then I purchased
Hammerite (a type of paint) for a quality paint store.

I never had any rust show through after that, and I sold the house four
years later, and it still looked great.

Corinne
i have a home that was built in 1951. the railings are wrought iron,
and have some rust and chipping. i understand that this might have
leaded paint on it.

what are my options? can i put a heavy coat of rustoleum on it and be
done with it? i was going to brush it but now i am having second
thoughts since there may be lead paint involved.

Thanks,
Fish.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim S

Corinne wrote:

I had this type of railing, and sanded it real well. Then I purchased
Hammerite (a type of paint) for a quality paint store.

I never had any rust show through after that, and I sold the house four
years later, and it still looked great.

I agree - Hammerite is *very* good for this sort of job. Good range of
colours too.

My advice having used gallons of the stuff:

a) Although it sticks OK to bare metal (slight rust included), it's better
IMHO if you use a coat of Hammerite primer first - less chance of it
cracking off, though this is more of a problem on thin metal like chassis.

b) Put it on thin and recoat at least once (watch the re-coating time, too
long and the second coat won't stick well - instructions on the tin). If
you glob it on, it takes *forever* to harden.

Cheers

Tim (in the UK)

wrought iron gates Frank Metalworking 2 October 21st 05 10:57 PM
Painting iron railing.. Grendel Home Repair 8 June 3rd 05 03:37 AM
repainting a wrought iron porch railing J Kelly Home Repair 9 May 5th 05 01:30 AM
Salt and vinegar for rust removal Paul O. Woodworking 89 May 21st 04 09:20 PM
Wrought Iron, Cast Alum and Cast Iron Decorative welding Roy Metalworking 7 April 30th 04 08:52 AM