Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default The $29.95 angle drill continued

On Thu, 11 May 2006 11:39:23 -0700, Owen Lowe wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

IMHO, being really cheap and lazy, I'd buy 3 more cheap drills before
spending
$75 to fix a good one...
Let's see... a holder over the chisel rack with 3 cheap drills holding maybe
80,
180 & 220 grit....

You know, that's really not a bad idea - AAMOF, it's a really good idea.
Let's say one commonly uses 5 grits - 120, 180, 220, 320, 400. By having
5 cheap sanders @ $30 each, you're laying out the same cash as for the
M/S, gain a lot of convenience and also extend your 1.5 month cheapie
tool life by 5 times or more if the failures are a factor of long run
times and heat buildup.

I just may have to look into this myself and dedicate my M/S to the
drilling tasks it's made for.

See... further proof that great minds think alike, Owen.. *g*

The downside is having several mandrels, but since I go through them pretty
quickly, the overall cost would be the same, because each one would be used less
per bowl.. *g*

I use 2 sanders right now because it's a hassle changing back and forth from 3"
to 2" H&L pads..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis