Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Bowls On the Loose!!!

On 11 May 2006 09:18:34 -0700, "Mark Fitzsimmons"
wrote:

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
If you are roughing the bowl why are you using a glue block at all? Either there should
be enough scrap at the bottom of the piece for a faceplate or certainly enough for a spur
center.

l.vanderloo wrote:
With big bowls and wet wood there is usually enough extra wood to use
screws for holding

You guys sure are quick to suggest other people waste their wood!
I don't usually screw into the wood because I want to make them as
large as possible.
Waste not, Want not.

I've found that the more turning I do, and the better the supply of wood I have,
the less important the final size of the bowl becomes..

To make a gently curved bowl, for instance, as opposed to a straight sided bowl
with rounded bottom, a lot more wood has to be "wasted"...
I don't use face plates or screws, in favor of a tenon for the chuck which will
usually be turned off.. I guess that's wasting wood, but it works for me..

Sort of a "that's why paint comes in more than one color" thing.. I know 2
people that use screws and face plates and when finishing the bowl bottom they
actually ENLARGE the screw holes and put contrasting hardwood dowels in, sanded
flush...

The only right way to do it is the way that works for you and that you like..
everything else is an option..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis