Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Default OT - How to Scare Off Coyotes?

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner
wrote on Fri, 12 May 2006 09:03:07 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

One dead coyote will scare hell out of the rest of them. They'll come howl
one or two nights, then vacate the scene for a year.

Lloyd: You just failed the r.c.m reading comprehension test.

-- Bruce --

Actually..Lloyd is correct. There is little that will scare them away
for any length of time. You have to either remove the stuff that
attracts them, or kill them..on occasion a couple large dogs may keep
them away. I live in the high desert. Lots of coyotes. I like coyotes.
In fact I named my company after them. But the only way I could keep
them from using my cats as whore durves G was to either turn my
malamute loose on them (he would catch and kill them) or shoot them.

I tried paint balls, fire crackers, bb guns, etc etc with little or no
luck. One of the things that gave them a bit of pause..was to go
around and **** on all the vertical stuff in the fence like..at least
3 feet above ground level. This slowed them down for about a week.

Then I had to start shooting them. Shrug. I blew a couple into chunks,
and the rest started making a wide berth around the property.

My understanding is that coyotes are like wild turkeys, in that if you
walk out empty handed, they'll just watch you. But if you walk out with a
rifle, they'll be long gone. Of course, I could (probably am) wrong on
this occasion.

--
pyotr filipivich.