Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default OT - How to Scare Off Coyotes?

On Thu, 11 May 2006 19:08:06 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2006 16:24:07 GMT, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
wrote:

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
My neighbours have a problem with a pair of coyotes frequently coming v
close to their house (on an acreage) and threatening their dog and cats
etc. Was wondering if anyone could suggest some aversion therapy (other
than bullets or poison) to help deal with the problem.

TIA for any suggestions............

One dead coyote will scare hell out of the rest of them. They'll come howl
one or two nights, then vacate the scene for a year.

Lloyd: You just failed the r.c.m reading comprehension test.

-- Bruce --

Actually..Lloyd is correct. There is little that will scare them away
for any length of time. You have to either remove the stuff that
attracts them, or kill them..on occasion a couple large dogs may keep
them away. I live in the high desert. Lots of coyotes. I like coyotes.
In fact I named my company after them. But the only way I could keep
them from using my cats as whore durves G was to either turn my
malamute loose on them (he would catch and kill them) or shoot them.

I tried paint balls, fire crackers, bb guns, etc etc with little or no
luck. One of the things that gave them a bit of pause..was to go
around and **** on all the vertical stuff in the fence like..at least
3 feet above ground level. This slowed them down for about a week.

Then I had to start shooting them. Shrug. I blew a couple into chunks,
and the rest started making a wide berth around the property.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams