Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default The $29.95 angle drill continued

In article .com,
"robo hippy" wrote:

When I take the
next drills in to be repaired, I will ask about double sealed bearings,
and see if that makes a difference, or if that is what they have been
putting in all along.

Just popped open my M/S to see what kind of bearings are in there...
WOW, it never occurred to me there are 3 pairs. One pair for the chuck
shaft, one for the intermediate shaft between the chuck shaft and the
armature shaft, and the armature which has the last pair. Most are
relatively small - maybe 5/8" outside diameter (the chuck shaft pair is
larger - maybe 3/4") - and appear to be shielded *only* - not sealed.
The difference in replacement cost of sealed vs. shielded would be quite
minimal, about 40 or 50 cents more per bearing.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.