F. Hayek

Default Which Lathe for Beginner?

In article ,
Anthony wrote:

From a former machine shop instructor, my advice is buy a couple of used
machines. I have no clue what your current capabilities are for running
these machines, but you want something pretty tough....hehe...
You might find a used Bridgeport mill for fairly cheap. These are tough
mills, and will take quite a bit of abuse. I like SouthBend for a lathe
for about the same reason. Plus...these are popular enough that parts can
be found for them.

I like the idea of finding something like a South Bend 9" lathe to get
started. And go from there. I'm a Toyota 4x4 enthusiast though, so I
might like to be able to cut some metric threads.

I've never operated any such machine tool and I'm not too keen on taking
regular classes. I'm hoping I can learn from the American Gunsmithing
Institute's 30 hour video course.

http://www.americangunsmith.com/mill_lathe.html

They've got lots of cool stuff for gunsmiths too.