Posted to rec.woodworking
nanook

Default I stole from Home Depot!

On Thu, 11 May 2006 20:21:34 GMT, Brian Henderson
wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2006 03:47:22 GMT, "Al" wrote:

All I can say is go to Frys and see, They always check to make sure whats
in the bag is what you purchased they then mark the receipt with a marker
showing that it was checked (Wilsonville Oregon call and ask about thier
policy). I have had this done at walmart as well. Not arguing with you
about the legalities but I know what they do around the Portland Metro area.
As far as detaining you, store security can detain you and they are no more
then citizens. Don't know where you live but I would have agreed with you
years ago when I was a security guard but so many laws have changed in the
past 25 to 30 years. I know what I see and what the police have told me
about being able to detain people for probable cause. By denying them the
access to the bag/cart you give them probable cause to suspect even if your
standing on your rightfully so lorrals. This is so far off wood working I
am going back into my shop and build a tool box. Have a good day and I hope
if you run into what we talked about you are correct and the law enforcement
officers lied to me. Back to wood working topics for me.

Nope, I walk through Fry's without the receipt check too. They ask to
see my receipt, I say no and keep on walking. Stores like Fry's and
Wal-Mart rely on the fact that most people are sheep and will
mindlessly do whatever someone in a supposed position of authority
tells them to do.

They can no more demand to see your receipt than you can to see the
contents of their pockets. Probable cause requires a lot more than
exercising your legal rights.

this may be true, BUT, chances are if you take something back and
there is no mark on it from the door checker, they're not likely to
allow you to return the material.

Here lately, WalMart has really backed off in our area, they just like
to check the carts that are carrying oversized items that are not
bagged.

personally, i stop, not because i am a sheeple, more to the fact that
stealing affects all of us in the long run.