Posted to rec.woodworking
Teamcasa

Default I stole from Home Depot!

John Emmons :
Once I pay for something, I own the
property. No one has the legal right to search my belongings without
reasonable suspicion that I've done something illegal. If the police can't
do it, I doubt very seriously that a drone working for WalMart or Home
Depot
can.

Robert Bonomi :
You are, quite simply, wrong. There is *lots* of case-law on that point.

John Emmons :
When I say that they "can't" obviously if they're willing to make it into
physical confrontation they can, but not legally and certainly not without
my sueing them and winning and possibly filing criminal charges against
them
for battery.

Robert Bonomi :
"one thousand percent" wrong.

John Emmons :
Stores and their employee's don't enjoy any more legal rights to search or
detain citizens than any other business.

Robert Bonomi :
*IF* they have notice prominently posted where you see it upon _entry_ to
the
store, they _do_ have the *legal*right* to do so.

They have made it a condition of entry onto the premises -- their
_private_
_property_ -- and you have *agreed* to that condition by entering the
premises.

The stores that have gotten "in trouble" over the matter have had trouble
_because_ of 'defects' in the posted notice. e.g. 'not sufficiently
visible'.

What case law? I have not seen one sign, anywhere, that advises me that the
store may detain and inspect my property upon completion of the sale and
prior to my exiting the premises. Fry's, Home Depot, Best Buy and Costco
all have lemmings lined up to have their stuff pawed over by a snot nosed
teenager or some menacing guard. Me, I just say excuse me and walk out the
door.

Dave