Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fatdaddys

Default Old Vice, need a hand

About 20 years ago I bought a OLD BLACK VICE at a yard sale. I knew some
day I would have a house and a SHOP and would use it.
Well I just built my 32x24 shop out of cypress. I put my counters in. I
knew were this VICE was. I got it and greased it up and had to get it to
open and close with a hammer.. I got it just about closed and then noticed I
had to have it open to get one of the 3 bolts in. I started to open it.. I
had to use a hammer to get it moving.
It had been setting for that long and before I had bought it somebody had
just painted the whole thing lacquer BLACK.

I almost had it just right for the middle front bolt to slide and something
broke. I was a sleeve that the big screw bolt went it. That sleeve had a
small threaded set screw in it. It was made of cast iron.

This vice has Aug 11th 1914 with a paten number. I can't make out the brand
name. Its painted over and over.

Can anybody school me on this and what I need to do to get it fixed.
I will send you some pictures if you know anything.
Thanking you in advance
Dave
Tennessee raveATusit.net CHANGE AT with @