Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default Galvanizing & Gophers

On Thu, 11 May 2006 14:35:22 GMT, Tom Wait wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I've always had more success, metal-wise, using lead with gophers.
About an ounce and an eighth, delivered with velocity. Makes 'em do
backflips.

I agree with the Pb position. However I prefer smaller doses with much more
velocity. 40 grains @ 4000 fps makes them explode.

Well, it's about energy of course, but also about cleanup. I prefer to
have something I can pick up and throw out in the field, rather than a
bloody smudge on the lawn. Also, I've only got 30 acres, and with the
scattergun, I *know* that my shot won't go beyond my property.

If your in a city or are
noise sensitive then about 18 grains @ 825 fps just tips 'em over.

I tried with the .410 rather than the 12ga, it works but it's a single
shot rather than a pump. So when there's several, I don't have time to
reload before they scatter.

Couple years ago they got out of hand. I tried the "let's not shoot 'em
all as soon as they show up and see what happens" approach. I won't be
doing that again.