Jeff Wisnia

Default One way to deal with ebay rip-off auctions!

Jon Anderson wrote:
snipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2573870182&category=25 276

This ends tomorrow and may be shut down before then, so take a quick
peek.

I like it!

Jon

There's more than one sharp cookie selling Girl Scouts on eBay, but so far I've
made out OK. I often e-mail sellers with questions before bidding and make my
decision to bid according to the kind of answers I receive. Only has two problems
in maybe 100 purchases over the last few years:

1. An ivory carving which turned out to be "Mandarin Ivory" which is a loaded
plastic material which looks pretty good, but won't fool an ivory collector. I
believe the seller made an innocent mistake as she took it back and paid me a full
refund immediately. BTW the stuff's easily identified; A red hot sewing pin will
melt its way right into an obscure spot on the piece, it won't do anything when
pressed against real ivory.

2. A CD containing a medical reference book. The seller displayed a photo of the
actual CD, but sent me a labeless home burned copy which was wouldn't even run
because it was missing several important files. The swine refused to take it back,
and actually said to me "How do I know you didn't make a copy of it and are trying
to rip me off?" He rescinded when I threatened to report him to the CD's
publisher, his local police department, and the AG in his state. I got my money
back along with a nasty threatening letter saying the only reason he was giving me
a refund is because he didn't want to go to jail again.

I'm amazed that anyone intelligent enough to want to own a CNC mill would dare to
bid on one from a seller with no feedback who'd just signed up with eBay a few
days before. I wonder if the 14 "bids" showing when I looked at it are phonys too.

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"If you can smile when things are going wrong, you've thought of someone to blame
it on."