Posted to rec.woodworking
Al

Default I stole from Home Depot!

All I can say is go to Frys and see, They always check to make sure whats
in the bag is what you purchased they then mark the receipt with a marker
showing that it was checked (Wilsonville Oregon call and ask about thier
policy). I have had this done at walmart as well. Not arguing with you
about the legalities but I know what they do around the Portland Metro area.
As far as detaining you, store security can detain you and they are no more
then citizens. Don't know where you live but I would have agreed with you
years ago when I was a security guard but so many laws have changed in the
past 25 to 30 years. I know what I see and what the police have told me
about being able to detain people for probable cause. By denying them the
access to the bag/cart you give them probable cause to suspect even if your
standing on your rightfully so lorrals. This is so far off wood working I
am going back into my shop and build a tool box. Have a good day and I hope
if you run into what we talked about you are correct and the law enforcement
officers lied to me. Back to wood working topics for me.

Al

"John Emmons" wrote in message
I find that very hard to believe. Once I pay for something, I own the
property. No one has the legal right to search my belongings without
reasonable suspicion that I've done something illegal. If the police can't
do it, I doubt very seriously that a drone working for WalMart or Home
Depot
can.
When I say that they "can't" obviously if they're willing to make it into
physical confrontation they can, but not legally and certainly not without
my sueing them and winning and possibly filing criminal charges against
them
for battery.

Stores and their employee's don't enjoy any more legal rights to search or
detain citizens than any other business.

John

"Al" wrote in message
k.net...
They can legaly check your bags/carts from the store and verify your

receipt
at least in Oregon. Never had HD or Lowes do it mostly Frys Electronics

and
Walmart.

Al

"Brian Henderson" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 May 2006 04:32:54 GMT, "John Emmons"
wrote:

One other time I called and asked the manager on-duty why she had

someone
who was basically incompetent stopping every customer at the door and
demanding to see their reciepts, told her as I had told the employee

that
thought I had stolen something to call the police.

I refuse to stop and have my belongings gone thru by drones.

You have absolutely no legal obligation to do so and shouldn't. Once
you purchase something and they take your payment, you own the item
and have no obligation whatsoever to show it to anyone, any more than
you can demand the drone empty their pockets for you.

I've had some of them being very insistant, but I ignore them. It's
funny to see some of them running out into the parking lot after me
yelling "I have to see your receipt".

No you don't. You *WANT* to see it, you don't have to.

Wal-mart has gotten sued over this and has lost every time. They have
no right whatsoever to demand to see anything. They can ask, you can
decline. They cannot stop you and frankly, I'd love to see one of
them try, my lawyer wouldn't mind picking up some free and easy money
for me.