Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Bowls On the Loose!!!

"Walt Cheever" wrote in message
news:8848g.722614$084.285368@attbi_s22...
I've been turning some large bowls from green wood. The wood was cut late
last year.

So far 3 out of three have jumped off the lathe shortly after I pulled the
tailstock away so that I could start hollowing.

Are there other ideas that could help?

The good part is that I've learned how bowls blow off the lathe, and where
to stand to avoid them.

That's "rule" number one - stand out of the throw zone.

Make the best you can with the hand you're dealt. How about _not_ removing
the tailstock to begin hollowing, but using it until the bowl is near final
thickness and in best balance? Also puts you out of the throw zone, because
of the tool angle.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...e/639fb765.jpg Plunge
while rotating, pull back toward the rim. Works on the other side of the
gouge in the other direction.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...e/639fb765.jpg

The pillar on my stuff is hollow for the pin chuck, but solid with center
mark will do as well. If you need more support, taper an opening and use
the conical part of your tail center to help with centering and support. Not
only are you getting help when you're hogging hard, but if you are going to
rough absolutely green and allow to dry, you can leave your center available
for later use.