Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
Curtis CCR

Default Front-load washer?

Mike T. wrote:
"Steve" wrote in message
The appliance manager at BestBuy told me sumpthin sorta weird, but
maybe it's true - he says the LG washers are great, but because they
go to max spin instantly, there can be sympathetic vibration of floors
etc.

That's not an LG thing. You can't install a front-load washer anywhere but
a basement, on a solid concrete floor. That is, unless you LIKE all your
pictures shaking off the walls. -Dave

My toploader died 6 years ago and I decided I would get a energy and
water efficient machine. We have had a Maytag Neptune since.

In this house it sits on a concrete floor in the laundry room - In our
last house it was on concrete in the garage. The Neptune does not spin
up to full speed right away. It tosses the clothes at low speed and
gradually speeds up to allow them to spread out in the drum more
evenly. It is vibrates sometimes, but it's usually very quiet and has
never tried to walk across the floor like the old top loader did from
time to time. The noisiest part of the entire wash process is when
it's filling with water.

I calculated the water usage/cost to see if the thing was really worth
the extra money. I paid about a $grand for the Neptune and figured a
good top loader would cost me $400-$500 at the time. The water savings
alone paid back the cost difference in less than five years. One might
argue that waiting 5 years for the payback might not be worth it, but
it is a payback, and I wanted to conserve water and elecricity so it
was the right choice for me.