Karl Townsend

Default Which Lathe for Beginner?

"F. Hayek" wrote in message
In article ,
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Think about the used market. You'll find better iron for the buck and

there
is a HUGE glut of machines since actually producing things in this

country
is so politically incorrect.

Tom's observation about the politics of being a producer in this crazy
world is spot-on. However, I still have much to learn about machine
tools for the automotive and gunsmithing hobbyist. Hows about some
advice on brands and types of machines? Just a basic lathe and milling
machine to start with. Size? I'm not sure. I'd like something bigger

An FNG like yourself should consider buying through a reputable used
machinery dealer. Tell them what you want and see what they have that fits
the bill. You may pay slightly more than the cheapest available but you
won't end up with something totally unsuitable. I'd check two or three
places. Once you're down to two or three specific choices, ask here (RCM)
for comparison points.

I bought my beloved 10EE from Dave Ficken, http://mermac.com/ He shipped to
me (MN) from New York. Take a look at his stuff. Tell us where you're
located and many folks here can recommend other reputable dealers.

Karl