Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default How to Identify SMD Ceramic Caps

Too bad I don't have some of those cool tweezers that tell you the
capacatence of smd caps... I could heat the caps up and test them..

- Mike

"Ray L. Volts" wrote in message

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
I have a LCD monitor that has some ceramic caps that have become heat
sensitive but I can't tell what they are since they are SMD and have no
markings.. Does anyone have any idea how to find out what they are?

- Mike

When there are no value markings, bout the only thing u can do is get a
schematic or find somebody who has one and is willing to share info.
Unfortunately, that isn't likely to yield the desired info. Most
schematics don't reveal values for components on items that are intended
to be replaced as an assembled unit (e.g., tv tuner modules.. and boards
inside LCD monitors). They may show a basic circuit or block diagram, but
that's it. The not-so-subtle hint from manufacturers is to buy the entire
board or module. They don't want their products repaired out of warranty;
they want to move new products. Don't expect that philosophy to change to
the end user's benefit anytime soon.