Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default Building Ground (long-...sorry)

No I'm not talking a small spark when you plug it in. I'm talking about
lightning hitting the wire during storms. It would arc off the wire when it
wasn't plugged into the arrestor.

- Mike

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
m...
Michael Kennedy wrote:
I found out the hard way that burrying the wire doesn't help with
lightning protection when I ran a cat5 ethernet wire from my house to
a friends last year. That thing got zapped evey time we had a bad
storm..

The problem wasn't caused by the ethernet wiring; it was the difference
in ground potential between the two homes.

You should have optically isolated the two ends to avoid the problem.