Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Wally

Default Bowls On the Loose!!!

I've been using glue blocks on a regular basis for many years. I use CA
glue, medium visc. When using CA you can mount the piece on the lathe
immediately. It works well on wet wood.

When using glue blocks, both surfaces must be flat and true as for any
other glue joint. Use plenty of glue. Use a few seconds of hand
pressure when applying. No clamps. If you've used enough glue there
should be some squeeze-out. If a CA glue joint fails it's nearly always
because not enough glue was used. Forget using paper. I part the
finished piece off with a parting tool. When parting and the glue joint
is smaller than a nickel just pop the piece off with the heel of your
hand.

Works for me and it's worked for over 300 students in my classes.

Wally