Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

Default Bowls On the Loose!!!

On Tue, 09 May 2006 17:16:52 GMT, "Walt Cheever"
wrote:

My first solution is to go to Polyethylene (Gorilla) glue. Since it likes
water to cure, should do the trick. Has anyone done this who can give me
the benefit of their experience?

I haven't used Gorilla Glue on the lathe, but I have used it for
outdoor projects- be advised that while it claims to be able to fill
gaps, it "fills" them by turning into a soft foam that doesn't have
much holding power. This worked fine for a park bench I built that I
carefully hand cut moritses in and clamped in stages, but on another
kind of rushed shelving unit I made out of pine, the glue did not hold
(the dadoes were about 1/32" too wide, and the shelves did not stick
in place very well)

I guess the point it you should be careful to make sure that the
mating surfaces match perfectly, and clamp the blank very tightly
until it cures.

FWIW, I've also used the Elmer's Polyethylene glue, and for whatever
reason, it seems to hold a little better, and is a buck or two cheaper
per bottle.

I've also heard a lot about using hot glue on glue blocks.

Walt C