Posted to rec.woodworking
Clint

Default I stole from Home Depot!

Ummmm... Couple quick options:
1) Wave your arm to attract the attention of the "sales droids"
2) Talk to the "sales droid" when it comes over to help you with the credit
card transaction
3) Cancel the transaction, and walk all the way over to the regular tills.

It's only a dollar's worth of items, so I doubt that HD is going to go broke
over it. But the fact that you couldn't scan the items in is not really an
excuse for not paying for them, IMHO.

Clint

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Went to the local HD yesterday to pick up a bunch of sandpaper and a few
5/16" and 3/8" bolts I needed. Found what I wanted and decided to speed
things up by going to the self-checkout line. Bad move.

The sandpaper scanned fine, but I was at a loss how to deal with the
bolts.
4 @ $0.13 and 4 @ $.14, IIRC. No bar code, no obvious way to enter them
into the system. I futzed around a bit while several sales droid types
hung out and observed the chaos.

Eventually, I found a screen that said something like "press here to
summon
help", which I did. Still no assistance from the droids was forthcomming.
Finally, in desperation, I just dropped the bolts into my bag, which
immediately generated a message that the weight of my bag didn't match
what
I had scanned, and that I should remove the extra items from the bag.
Still no assistance-droids.

Some more futzing, and the machine prompted me to swipe my credit card. A
droid came over, helpfully showed me how to swipe it, and watched me
complete the transaction.

Sigh. I walked out the door with my $11 or so worth of paid-for
sandpaper,
plus (by my calculations), $1.08 worth of hex-head bolts, shamelessly
absconded with. What's a customer to do?