dddd

Default Which Lathe for Beginner?

What you want in a lathe is a tool large enough to do the kind of work you
think you may want to do in the future (swing diameter of 3 times the work
diameter is the usual ratio stated), is popular enough to have accessories
at cheap prices and is known to be a sturdy workhorse that is easy to keep
going.

This means if you think you will stay away from turning automotive
crankshafts, that a 9 inch lathe (which means work diameter up to 3
inches) is probably appropriate. I think used is the smartest way to go.
One lathe that fits all the criteria here is the South Bend. I am a
watchmaker so I am biased toward the Swiss toolroom lathes. I happen to own
a Habegger. While I love that machine, it was more trouble and money to
tool up than a South Bend. And from what I have seen, I could probably do
most of the same work on the South Bend. And remember, there are still
times when you use the lathe for "big" things. I have made 6 inch jigs on
my 8 inch lathe. It is just if you were doing this on a regular basis that
a larger lathe would be much "friendlier" in the setup and work.

For mill, I own a used Select Vertical mill. This is the same pattern used
in the Enco and Grizzly mills that sell for about $2000. The main reason
for using a mill of this pattern is once again, cost of accessories.
Standard machinist accessories (R-8 and such) are much easier and cheaper to
come by. I put a Sony Millman package on it I purchased new on eBay for
$800 and I see little difference between it and a Swiss mill when all is
said and done. But for the work I do, this mill is way overkill to begin
with.

I can't speak of the range of new stuff and what I said above should be
interpreted as my own biased opinion. But I hope this helps.

--
Regards,
Dewey Clark http://www.historictimekeepers.com

"F. Hayek" wrote in message
I'm wondering what brand and model of lathe and milling machines someone
starting out should consider? I want to make parts for automotive,
motorcycle and gunsmithing use. I'm not talking about engine boring
here, just bushings clamps, brackets. I see a lot of Chinese machines at
Grizzly, Harbor Freight and Jet are they worth it? Thanks

Fred