DejaVU

Default Which Lathe for Beginner?

F. Hayek scribed in freeagent
:

crazy world is spot-on. However, I still have much to learn about
machine tools for the automotive and gunsmithing hobbyist. Hows
about some advice on brands and types of machines? Just a basic

from what I've read here, the Jet lathes tend to be better than other
brands (I don't live on your continent, and have a Myford lathe, so
cannot really knww these answers. ymmv etc etc)

lathe and milling machine to start with. Size? I'm not sure. I'd

9x20? for automotive you'll probably be happier with a 12x or 14x
(that's 12 or 14 inch diameter workpiece capacity), because at some
point you'll want to face a brake drum or clutch plate (-:

for gunsmithing.... mostly your size requirment there is being able
to put the barrel through the headstock. now you're looking at the
14x to 16x range (BIG lathes) because no-one makes a small lathe with
a big spindle hole. why? we don't know....but they sure would be
useful

like something bigger than a "mini-lathe", but, not something too
big to get down the basement stairs.

the 9x20 is easy enough to carry down afaik.

Gear drive or belt? Got me.

gear is (more) powerful and gives more speed options. belt is quiet
and can give the same options. my Myford has 6 belt ratios and I
seldom move it out of the highest speed (640rpm). but nice to have
30 rpm when you need it!

What's the real difference? Maybe I need to be pointed to some
kind of FAQ for machining newbies. I'm open to any help.

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /