Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default Building Ground (long-...sorry)

hmm.. I can't say I know of many overground telephone wires in my area,
except in older houses that have overhead power service, they used to string
the telephone wire under the power wire, but the main phone lines are all
burried.

I found out the hard way that burrying the wire doesn't help with lightning
protection when I ran a cat5 ethernet wire from my house to a friends last
year. That thing got zapped evey time we had a bad storm..

- Mike

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Eric Law wrote:
System is balanced and isolated in US too. The ground is just for surge
/ lightning protection.

Right. Few telephone cables in the UK are overground, so that explains it.
The surge arrestor here is just wired between the incoming pair.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.